Sunday, March 23, 2014

European expedition

As promised, here is an update from my trip through Europe. I am travelling with my friend Julia. We met two years ago when she surfed my couch in Calgary. Never heard of couchsurfing? Well, it's one of the best travelling networks around. When I am home, I open my doors to travellers. When I am abroad, I stay with locals. For more information about couchsurfing, there's a wikipedia page. 
I used couchsurfing last time I was in Europe and it made my trip exceptional and unforgettable. When you stay with locals, you get the inside scoop on the city you are visiting. This time in Europe has been no different. I've seen and done things I would never have done on my own. Here's a look at my trip so far in photos.

Amsterdam

My dear Julia and the first of many waffles.
Bicycles everywhere!


Never heard of a framberry before.
Tulips galore!

On the train to Rotterdam.
Riding bicycles provided by our wonderful couchsurfing host Tristan. 


Touring the city with couchsurfer Jan.
Onto Antwerp, Belgium. 

Rain in Brugge, Belgium.


Brugge is a beautiful city! So much history. 


Onto Reims, France.




Tasting Champagne in the champagne region of France.
Next stop is Luxembourg and then Strasbourg where my family lives. It's strange to think I was in Sochi exactly a week ago. It feels like it was a lifetime ago. I miss the people the most, but I also miss the routine and working the games. It gave me such joy to know I was helping bring the Olympics and Paralympics to life. Perhaps I am having Olympic withdrawals. This might take a while to get over... I return to Canada on March 30. Getting back into the swing of things will be tough, but I am actually really looking forward to going back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment